Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness Review


Whether our universe began with some big bang or not will be an ongoing debate many wage until their dying day. What is not up for discussion is the fact that “Star Trek Into Darkness” definitely starts with the sort of intensity that beckons one to the edge of their seat. The opener finds our explorers of the Enterprise lodged under an ocean on a planet with a civilization that has “barely invented the wheel,” as one character puts it. Threatened to meet an early end by an erupting volcano, Spock (Zachary Quinto) takes a diffusion bomb to the heart of that volcano, with intentions to freeze it over and eliminate the threat. It is just the beginning, yet sets the tone for a film that does not miss a beat in terms of action sequences.

Next to other 2nd film sequels like the “Empire Strikes Back” and “The Dark Knight,” I think “...Into Darkness” stands rather high. My father used to watch the television shows, but I must admit my interest was never taken by any installment of the television series. Around those times–1997 to be clear–I did, however, fall in love with the Star Wars saga. It has never been a question for me of whether I am a “Trek” fan, or a “Wars” fan, though. For me, I liken the comparison to being a fan of both the James Bond 007 movies, and the Mission: Impossible films, or to liking both Marvel comic book films like “Iron Man” and”Thor,” yet also liking “The Dark Knight” trilogy and the upcoming “Man of Steel” pictures.

Getting back to the point of my lack of admiration for the Star Trek franchise, even up to 2009’s “Star Trek,” I was not as impressed as it seemed the majority of others were, maybe more so because I let fans hype the movie until I thought it would be borderline groundbreaking. It kind of annoyed me how James Kirk, fresh out of the academy, and surrounded by veterans, always seemed to be the smartest person in the room. I can understand being naturally gifted in the form of leadership, but it more akin to seeing Lebron James dominate the NBA in his rookie season, rather than growing into that leadership over countless experiences.


One of my favorite things about “...Into Darkness” is the interaction of the unique cast of characters. The cocky, naturally talented Captain James Kirk (Chris Pine), the brutally honest and morally righteous Spock, the always agitated pessimist Dr. Bones, the beautiful Nyota Uhura, Scotty (Simon Pegg), who would likely describe himself as under appreciated, the insecure genius Pavel Chekov, and Hikaru Sulu (John Cho), give the talented writing team many chances to capitalize by adding humor to various situations. With Kirk as a character, we get to see him humbled, bringing about a maturity that makes him more intriguing than just stringing together a handful of well-placed guesses. Spock, not to be forgotten, also learns to find a balance between what it is to operate by the book, and what it is to be morally right.

As the main villain, Khan (Benedict Cumberbatch) is a character audiences may find themselves sympathizing with, once he tells his own story. A 300-year-old super soldier, he and his people were frozen as a form of imprisonment for crimes against humanity. Now, however, he has been awakened for the purpose of helping to fend off threats to the human race. Though a bad guy, one can definitely like his character, as one of my sisters admitted to, after all he has the best action scene the movie has to offer (see his attack on the Klingon home world).

There are various other reasons and moments for “Star Trek Into Darkness” to receive praise. There is nothing I can really think of to say negatively about it. To state the obvious, I recommend seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment