Sunday, January 1, 2012

Expectations

Hello,


This is my first of hopefully a never ending series of movie blog reviews. This blog is not a review of any one movie in particular but rather an explanation of what I tend to look for in a movie; what makes a film good.


First and foremost I am a "guy." I like to see explosions, car chases, shoot outs, sword duels, bare knuckle brawls, over the top stunts, etc., etc. When I take my seat in a theater, I am not there to learn a life lesson—though if that should happen, it is icing on a cake—or to be taught like I was sentenced to a sensitivity class. Films that become my favorites make me nudge the person next to me in a "Did you see that?!" moment, or laugh out loud from time to time. I, like the everyday person, go there to be entertained.


Now just because I enjoy the frantic chaos of an epic battle scene does not mean I throw a good script to the wind, either. In my opinion the most annoying element of a story is when, upon subsequent views, it begins to become apparent there are plot holes, events that cannot possibly matchup, or incomplete branches of the story that the writer must have found too difficult to tie together, so instead tries to sweep underneath the rug in hopes that the viewer will not notice. Such a thing as this often tends to unravel the entire experience, making what could have been a classic become unbearable, instead.


There is a saying that goes something like, "there is no more originality left in the world." With movies like Inception just released in 2010, I highly disagree. A very few movies still manage to stretch the capacity of the imagination, leaving one to say, "I've never seen that before." In this way, concepts, too, are just as  important to me as a  well put together storyline and maybe even more from time to time. Even a well written script can tend to become hampered by a feeling of deja vu. 


This first blog is just my heads up as to what to expect from me. Hopefully I gain some regular readers. And feedback is more than welcome, it is encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment